Bourbon Glazed Dry Brine Turkey Recipe
Are you sure you wanna make turkey?
I got this new recipe!
Dry Brine Turkey to Get Everyone in the Thanksgiving Spirit
*WARNING – THIS SHOULD TASTE GOOD
**EXTREME WARNING – YOU MAY NEVER WANT TURKEY ANY OTHER WAY**
- 1 cups apple juice, plus more for basting
- 1.5 cups dark brown sugar
- 1 cup bourbon
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons paprika
- 4 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 stick of butter, at room temperature
- 3 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/4 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice berries
- 10 T dark brown sugar
- 5 T granulated sugar
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 1 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 2 fresh or dried bay leaves
- 1 13 to 14 pound whole turkey, neck and giblets
- *Optional – Bacon (for wrapping the turkey in)
Prep Steps By Day
- Set the turkey, breast-side down, on a large cutting board with the tail closest to you.
- Use an electric knife or heavy-duty kitchen shears to cut up one side of the backbone.
- Turn the bird around and cut back down the other side of the spine.
- Reserve the backbone for Giblet Stock or just throw it away…
- Discard any fat pockets or excess skin found inside the turkey.
- Turn the turkey breast-side up and use the heel of your hands to press down on both breasts, until you hear a cracking sound and the bird has flattened slightly.
Day 1 through Day 4
- Rub the seasoned salt on both sides of the turkey.
- Place the turkey on a parchment paper lined half sheet pan, breast-side up with legs running with the long side of the pan.
- Store, uncovered, in the refrigerator for 4 days.
- Start at least 3.5 hours before intended eating
- In a container with a tight-fitting lid, combine the
- 1 cup bourbon, 1 cup honey, 1 cup vinegar and 1 cup brown sugar (costco)
- Shake vigorously to blend; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the remaining
- 1/2 cup brown sugar with the 4T paprika, 4T mustard, 2Tchili powder, 1T garlic powder, 1Tonion powder and 1stick butter
- Form a paste.
Baking Steps By Hour
00:00 to 01:00
- Remove the turkey from the refrigerator and leave at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Place one rack in the middle of the oven and a second one far enough below so the roasting pan will fit.
00:30 to 01:00
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees F roast for 30 minutes.
01:00 to 01:30
- Roast the turkey for about 30 minutes, until slightly golden brown.
01:30 to 03:30
- Reduce the heat to 350°F and continue roasting for the next 2 hours
- Brushing with some of the bourbon glaze every 20 minutes
- An instant-read thermometer inserted in the thigh should register 160 degrees F.
- Thermometer check in 2 places BOTH thigh and breast
- -if turkey is below 160 – RAISE oven temp and keep going
03:30 to 04:00
- Remove the turkey from the oven, brush with the remaining glaze
- Loosely tent and let rest 30 minutes to rest before slicing.
04:00 to 04:30
- NEED equal amounts of 4oz (8 Tablespoons) BUTTER / 4oz (16 Tablespoons) FLOUR
- — tablespoon of butter is 1/2 ounce SO you will need 8 tablespoons of Butter
- — tablespoon of flour is 1/4 ounce SO you will need 16 tablespoons of Flour
- Butter 4 oz.
- Flour 16 Tablespoons
- a – pour drippings in pan into separator or measuring cup or container
- b – the clear stuff on top – discard
- c – solid brown stuff on bottom KEEP
- d – should be at room temperature
- Melt butter and slowly add flour constantly mixing
- Cook for 3-5 minutes till you reach desired color/consistency
- Add drippings saved from earlier
- Slowly add to pan
- Once done set aside in gravy boat.
What’s your Thanksgiving go to recipe?